Best Hints to Live by Design
- Live by Design not by Default. When we live by design, we live mindfully.
- I have been living in a world where I allowed the circumstances evolving at work to dictate my future. Since my jaw surgery I realized I do not have to go along with the status quo at work. I had an Etsy Shop opened prior to my surgery. Even while recovering I was creating new pins. I kept researching ways to drive traffic to my Etsy Shop. The owners of successful shops said “You need a blog” and “Build an email list with helpful information for your audience” The little steps I take each day are going to turn me in the direction of my goals.
What is Living by Default?
- When we live by default we allow others to dictate our value.
- When we do the same things over and over and expect different results we are fooling ourselves.
- What actions we take on a daily basis will dictate our future.
Why do these habits occur?
- We become complacent in our daily lives and forget what our goals are.
- I thought I was on the right course in my job. I was saving for retirement, paying my bills, improving my skills at work. After 5 years of service to my company, they were taking away benefits, instead of rewarding the employees that were reliable, dependable, and hard working.
- I was angry and knew I was of more value. I all ready had my Etsy Shop open and loved making pins, but knew it’s not at a place where I could earn a living from it. I was excited at the fact that there are some things in place where I could control my worth. All I have to do now is take those little steps each day. I start a new job in March and will enjoy the new environment to work in. But I know in truth, what I can control is my business and blog.
- Has something similar happened to you in your career?
Best Tips to Help You Start Your Journey to Live by Design
Tip 1: Pause and Take a Mini Moment
- Bring attention to what you are doing. When you are mindful in the moment you will make better decisions.
- Focus on the action you are about to take.
- Will this phone call, text, or conversation take me in the direction of my goals?
- Why am I taking this action?
- How aware are you of those around you?
Tip 2: Be True to Yourself
- When setting your goals be honest with yourself. If you are a night owl, set up a goal to write in your journal before bedtime, do not set a goal to get up at 5:30am and write in your journal with a clear head. We all are different, what works for one person may not work for the other. Set your goals so you can achieve them.
- Quote from Warren Buffett, “It’s what you do right now, today, that determines how your body and mind will operate 10-20-30 years from now”
- Mindful people take walks. It is a way to clear your mind, gain new perspective, and create greater awareness.
Tip 3: Surround Yourself with Like-Minded People
- It is helpful to be around people who are successful in the things you like to do. You like to to run? Hang out with runners that encourage you to do better.
- It’s a no-brainer, hang out with people who are supportive and energize you to do your best!
- The time you spend with others has an affect on your achievements in life.
Tip 4: Be Specific in Your Why
- Use clear goals with specific numbers and descriptions.
- For example: I want to increase my income by $200/wk in the next six months.
- For example: I want a previously owned car -Toyota Corolla by the end of this year.
The Last Thing You Need to Know about Living by Default
- Living mindfully, instead of passively, allows us to choose our path in life. We can stop at any given moment and ask ourselves, “Is this really going to help me get to where I want to go?” For me, at that moment of realization that my current job is not going to allow me to get to where I want to go in life, it is then, AT THAT MOMENT, up to me to make the changes to take control. It was time to change direction.
- Have you had a similar experience? What did you do? How did you feel?